Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Fest Is Done. Long Live the Fest

In some ways, this was just like every year. Sara, Oscar, and I drove up late Thursday, got lost in NJ (don't ask), were pulled over by troopers but released with no ticket (god, I like traveling with blondes!) and arrived around midnight. The rest of the crew had rolled in at various times throughout the evening. We all said hello, agreed we were all completely exhausted, and then....opened a fine bourbon and spent the next 3 HOURS catching up and story-telling. I knew I was going to regret but was just so glad to see those faces. You know we are getting old because we talked a lot about work. With most everyone somehow affiliated with media, there was a lot of talk of the future of journalism and hilariously, many strategy discussions about twitter. The next morning we (big shock) had a late start and then headed to Whiteface. I had a very low key day helping darling Maeve learn to ski before her mom and I went off to the main mountain for a bit. The airlines lost skis, so the cross country folks waited around until late afternoon for their skis and then headed to Dewey Mountain for some lit trails. We all convened for dinner and I threw together flank steak, mushroom risotto, and some salad. We all huddled around the kitchen, and then started old jokes, brutal personal assaults etc.. As I so clearly remember doing about 10 years ago, Mark and Carter spent much of the evening trying to get a revved up Maeve into her bed. Even Oscar and Erik took turns to no avail. Clarke and @PK arrived around 10pm in a ridiculous sports car. The rental agency had "upgraded" them from economy not into SUV or something ADK suitable but a two-seater. So funny to watch them drive up. After snow angels, we all collectively crashed. The next morning we had a breakfast that I think will be a new tradition: the Irish oatmeal bar. McCann's oats with serve yourself bowls of brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, pecans, almonds, mangoes, apples, berries, bananas, etc. Super delicious. We were at the hill at a reasonable hour and the boys skied their legs off. Jim, dad of Erik, led the boys and Clarke swears they skied the whole mountain. Where was I? Teaching @Pk how to ski. He promised he would try. And he was valiant. Next up, he's trying cross country. So then I ditched him, and joined the rest for a few runs before we headed home. Then the last of our people finally arrived from DC, "Big Air Spider Dan" and Jill. That night, we had early appetizers of cheese (did I mention they were all from Wisconsin?) and then went to a late dinner at...you guessed it, Eat N Meet. We literally took up the entire restaurant and spent almost 3 hours there eating, drinking, and talking. So fun. We now have 16 more Eat n Meet fans. Favorite dishes included meatloaf, crab beignets, sauteed squash. The next day was sort of anticlimactic as people started to file out. Everyone had different schedules and airports. On the last full day, Oscar and I went to Cascade to ski with Sara, Clarke stayed home to study, Jim and Erik skied Whiteface with Dan and....the lawyers went to Starbucks to work. Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be lawyers. I really loved the few hours of cross country and the lodge after is such a treat. Finally, our day to return to reality arrived but I decided we'd stop at Gore and downhill ski a half day before heading to NYC. I hadn't really felt I had gotten my proper skiing in and it was a fantastic half day. So warm that I was wearing no hat, absolutely no crowds and great conditions. So worth it. So it was a typical trip in that we laughed a lot and skied a lot. It was atypical because I think, frankly, we are getting older. We cared less about the food and less about the booze, though don't get me wrong, much of all was consumed. I think everyone feels these weekends are something special and we treasure it. I know I do. I think people are definitely have fallen for the Adirondacks too. It's such a good match for the go get 'em Wisconsin mentality. There is talk of trying a summer canoe retreat, an extra weekend for Tom and Katrina to do the Loppet and extending the weekend to a week+ next year and adding on Mont Tremblant. Even if we can't pull these things off, we are going to all damn try.

No comments:

Post a Comment