Sunday, January 10, 2010

Connor Mitchell Bower

My 40th birthday aside, you know when you really feel old? When you realize your kids and nephews and nieces are way more accomplished and cooler than you are. My oldest nephew Connor was in a terrible accident at his college this weekend. He has a broken back and nerve damage and will have to drop out of school temporarily to recuperate. I am listening to my sister tell about his demeanor and his gumption and it is now crystal clear that he is way more amazing then me... and he's only 18. Arghgh -Youth! To be honest, I sort of knew this already: the fantastic grades at the competitive school, the gourmet cooking at 13, eating uni at 15 (Ok I'll take credit for that one). His wit, his open-mindededness, his winking at the world. Seriously, there's more: His two jobs, done well and without whining all through highschool. Jeez. His piano playing and his faith. His ability to watch cooking shows and retain recipes. But when I heard he was making a plan for school and contacting his advisor 1 DAY AFTER HIS SURGERY, I knew i was old and sort of a loser. Truly, if I had gone through what he had gone through, the next day, I'd be searching for my next morphine dose and trying to make sure my hospital gown was snapped correctly. I am old and withering and I have never been as cool as Connor.

No comments:

Post a Comment