Monday, September 21, 2009

No Impact Fam

I saw the documentary No Impact Man this weekend and it has definitely stuck with me. If you haven't heard of it, it follows a pretty typical NYC family trying to make a radical change in their lifestyle-to have no impact on the environment for a year. It was not at all preachy due to the wife and mom who is a perfect foil to No Impact Man, and a lot of self-reflection about the paradox and motives of the year. I recommend it for entertainment and for inspiration. I immediately said "no way" to a number of the changes. e.g. no toilet paper but many more made so much sense to me, and seemed easy to do.

Mostly what stuck with me was the ridiculous consumerism that has taken hold. It makes me want to run away from it all...run away to the Barn. It makes me admire all the more, the former Brooklyn residents, new ADK homesteadkers at Small Pines. I am struggling with how to bring this awareness to the boys, without making them feel like social freaks or that they are somehow deprived. How to incrementally live in a way that is rich and fulfilling without stuff. They already have a ridiculous idea of wealth from their schoolmates and such. Anyway this is what I am thinking about today. That and...Oscar's Birthday! Waiting to frost the Chocolate Stout Cake. 11 Years Old and a wise old soul

No comments:

Post a Comment