Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Not summer yet

A list of randomness:
  1. Make this school year end. NOW. NYC is nuts. See this insanity. Of course I had to add my two cents in the comments.
  2. For those that remember, on the last day of school, I always plan a crazy surprise for the boys. This one is finally finished and is slated for Friday. Not my most outlandish but should be a fun time. Years past have included: weekend cruise to Canada, beach, convertible car rental, water park, sailing trip. Can't write details on this year of course, because I'm certain the boys read my blog....right? I am loving slipping them hints and throwing them off the scent. Much harder now that they are old and cynical.
  3. Very happy with quick dinner last night. Ready? Turkey burgers: mix ground turkey with salt, chopped cilantro, lime juice. Grill. Fancy relish: grated red cabbage and carrots, mixed with 2 TBL mayo, lime juice, dash of olive oil, cilantro, jalapeno. Sweet potato baked fries: Try to find the white sweet potatoes (are those yams?). The trick is heat the olive oil in a baking sheet in oven at high heat (450). When very hot, add the salted sweet potatoes. Bake till they are done. They crisp up nicely this way. Broccoli. Add sliced ginger to water/chicken stock before you steam/boil. Sliced melons: why are there so many delicious melons at the co-op right now? I thought melon season was late august. Anyway, delicious.
  4. Barn: Nada. Can't afford rental cars to get up there on the weekends. Need a solution. Very sad. But we are going for July 4th!
  5. To be honest, I am trying to remember that summer is supposed to be a time to relax and enjoy. Getting the boys scheduled into camps etc. to keep them occupied is expensive and time-consuming. I don't have a lot of time off work and I feel the whole summer is scheduled and budgeted down to the wire. Le sigh. Check back next week and hopefully I will shake this BS and start having some fun.
  6. I biked here last weekend and it was amazing. 12 miles from the urban jungle and you have pristine beach and wildlife. Wowza.

No comments:

Post a Comment