Monday, May 24, 2010

The Music Man

"Clarke has a very very high level of musical ability. I do not say this lightly. His technique and musical aptitude are very advanced." The report then goes to to report specific areas where he should focus, ideas for moving forward etc.

Finally a good report card for our hero. However, this is not the kind of report I exactly know what to do with. This is not news to me but it is an affirmation that Clarke's mind is not "ideally suited", shall we say, for Brooklyn Tech.

I am so proud of him for getting through the last 3 years of hell and for being a really good kid. I am not so proud of his academic achievements to date. And I'm no longer sure that my yelling, cajoling, encouraging, or threatening will change that much. So then what? Where is the path if you deviate from the standard? Must he forge his own or should I feebly attempt to lead him?

No comments:

Post a Comment